The members of the Centre for Enterprise, both past and present, have a strong publishing record, at international refereed conferences and in refereed journals.
Our publications area of the website provides an overview of the most recent publications in the field of entrepreneurship undertaken by members of staff associated with the research centre.
Publications listed illustrate some of the successes from the centre but for further details regarding publishing histories from individual staff members, please see individual publication lists available from each staff member’s online profile.
1. M.Angove, C.Cresswell, R.Akhtar, J.Rolfe, D.Brooksbank and B.Thomas, Working from the margins to inform the centre, Equal Opportunities International, Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 292–304, 2008. (ABS1- Journal renamed to Equality Diversity and Inclusion)
2. B.Thomas and R.Metcalfe, The Modern Development of the Agricultural Industry and Farming Enterprises in Jersey, Agricultural Journal, Vol. 3, No. 4, pp. 263-271, 2008.
3. Tunstall, R. & Lynch, M. (2008)'When Worlds Collide: Developing Effective Technical and Educational Game Design Partnerships in Universities’. Simulation & Gaming; An interdisciplinary Journal, 39 (3) pp.379-398 ISSN: 1046-8781
4. David Pickernell, Gary Packham, Brychan Thomas and Robyn Keast). (2008) University Challenge? Innovation Policy and SMEs in Welsh Economic Development Policy: Towards a New Framework”, International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation, 9 (1) 51-62. (ABS 2)
5. David Pickernell, Adrian Kay, Gill Bristow and Neal Ryan (2008) The Primacy of Politics: Intergovernmental Fiscal Relations in the UK and Australia, Public Money and Management, 28 (2) 115-122.() (ABS 2)
6. David Pickernell, Diane O’ Sullivan, Julienne Senyard and Robyn Keast (2008) The role of festivals and special events in rural areas: the Welsh Experience, in Journal of Rural Enterprise and Management, 4 (2), 44-61 (Robinson, M, ISSN 1749-5598),
7. Martins, A., Miller, C.J., and Thomas, BC. (2008) How does a Human Resource Management (HRM) function ‘fit’ into a Small Business Environment? Cyprus International Journal of Managament, Vol. 13, No 1, pp. 100-113, Autumn 2008 (ISSN 1450-0000)
8. Jones, P., Jones, A., Packham, G. and Miller, C. (2008) Student attitudes towards enterprise education in Poland: a positive impact, Education + Training, 50(7): 597–614. (ABS 1)
9. Diane O’ Sullivan, David Pickernell, and Julienne Senyard (forthcoming) Public Sector Evaluation of Festivals and Special Events in Journal of Policy Research in Tourism, Leisure and Events
10. David Pickernell, Michael Christie and Pat Rowe (forthcoming) 'Unpacking a Wicked Problem: Enablers/Impediments to Regional Engagement’ in Australian Journal of Public Administration (ABS 2)
11. B.Thomas, D.Brooksbank and R.Thompson, Optimising the regional infrastructure for higher education global start-ups in Wales, International Journal of Globalisation and Small Business, 2009, In Press.
12. B.Thomas, G.Simmons, G.Packham and C.Miller, Innovation and Pet Food SMEs in the United Kingdom, Journal of Food Products Marketing, 2009, In Press.
13. G.Simmons, B.Thomas and G.Packham, Opportunity and innovation: Synergy within an entrepreneurial approach to marketing, International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation, 2009, Vol 10, No 1, pp 63-72. (ABS 2)
14. G Simmons, G., Thomas, B. and Truong, Y. (2010) Managing i-branding to create brand equity, European Journal of Marketing, Vol. 44, No. 9, pp. 1260-1285 (ABS 3)
15. A.Martin, B.Thomas, L.Morse and C.Miller, How does a Human Resource Management (HRM) function 'fit’ into the Small Business Environment? Cyprus International Journal of Management, 2009, In Press.
16. R.Tunstall, C.Jordain, L.Pittaway and B.Thomas, Achieving Strategic Intent through Corporate Venturing: The Role of Strategic Relationships and Market Orientation, International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation, 2009, In Press. (ABS 2)
17. C.Cook, L.Gornall, L.Daunton, J.Salisbury and B.Thomas, Narratives of occupational change in further and higher education in post-devolution Wales, Welsh Journal of Education, 2009, In Press.
18. Gunn R and Hill S, (2008) The Impact of League Tables on University Application Rates, Higher Education Quarterly, Volume 62, Number 3, July 2008 , pp. 273-296(24) (ABS 2)
19. Thomas, B, Miller C,J, Packham, G and Simmons G (2008), The role of websites and e-commerce in the development of global start-ups, in Zhao, F (eds), Handbook of Research on Information Technology Entrepreneurship and Innovation, Idea Group Publishing, ISBN 1-59904-901-5
20. Pickernell, D., Clifton, N. and Senyard, J., (2009) Think Global, Act Local ? Universities, SMEs, and Innovation Frameworks (with Nick Clifton and Julienne Senyard) (2009) Industry and Higher Education, 23 (2) 79-89 (Ed. J Edmondson ISSN 0950-4222) ( (ABS 1)
21. Jones, P., Jones, A. and Packham, G. (2009) E-learning induction design for an undergraduate entrepreneurship degree, The International Journal of Management Education, 8(1): 37-51. (ABS 1)
22. The Emergence and Performance of the Bond Funded Water Company Model in the UK: The Case of Glas Cymru,” (2009) Brooksbank, D.J., Pickernell, D.G, Kay, A. and Kassim, B., Competition and Regulation in Network Industries, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp211-234.
23. Morgan, B. and Lydon, J. (2009) Bologna: Some thoughts on its effect on the Internalisation of Higher Education, Journal of Applied Research in Higher Education,1 (1): 63-72.
24.Thomas, B., Gornall, L., Packham, G. and Miller, C., The Individual Inventor and the Implications for Innovation and Entrepreneurship – A view from Wales, Industry and Higher Education, Vol. 23, No. 5, October, 2009, In Press. (ABS 1)
25. Clifton, N., David, R., Ehret, O., and Pickernell, D. (forthcoming) An Analysis of Actual and Potential Clustering Structures, Stakeholder Governance Activities, and Cross-Locality Linkages in the Welsh Aerospace Industry” , European Planning Studies ( forthcoming, Vol 19 2011) (ABS 2)
26. Djebarni, R. (forthcoming) Determinants of Job Satisfaction in the UAE: A Case Study of the Dubai Police’, Personnel Review (forthcoming Vol. 40 no 1 2011.) (ABS2).
27. Packham, G., Jones, P., Miller, C., Pickernell, D. and Thomas, B. (2010) Attitudes towards entrepreneurship education: a comparative analysis Education and Training, 52(8/9): 568-586. (ABS1).
28. Clifton, N., Keast, R. ., Pickernell, D., and Senior, M., Network Structure, Knowledge Governance and Firm Performance: Evidence from Innovation Networks and SMEs in the UK, Growth and Change Volume 41 (3): 337-373.
29. Clark, A. (2009) “Teaching Invention” Education & Training, Vol. 51, (7). p516-525. ISSN 0040-0912. (ABS1)
30. Clark, A (2010) Educators vs. Entrepreneurs: Traits and bias in the teaching of SWOT. Journal of Further and Higher Education. Vol 35 (forthcoming) (ABS 1)
31. Powell, L., Thomas, S., and Thomas, B. (2010) Regeneration Schemes in the South Wales Valleys: A stimulus for Innovative Heritage Enterprise Development, International Business Management, 4 (3) 177-188.
32. Tunstall, R. and Lynch, M. (2010) The role of simulation case studies in enterprise education, Education & Training, 52 (8/9) pp. 624-642. (ABS 1).
33. David Pickernell, Gary Packham, David Brooksbank and Paul Jones (2010) A recipe for what? UK universities, enterprise and knowledge transfer. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation, Vol 11 No 4, pp. 265-272 (ABS2).
34. Gary Packham, David Pickernell and David Brooksbank (2010) The changing role of universities in knowledge generation, dissemination and commercialization, International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation, Vol 11 No 4, pp. 261-263 (ABS2).
35. Small and medium sized enterprises and knowledge networks: an initial analysis of the roles of external supporting organizations, International Journal of Strategic Business Alliances, Vol2 No 1 / 2 (2011) pp. 113-134. (Clifton N., Pickernell, D. and Senior, M).
36. Pickernell, D., Packham, G. Jones, P., and Miller, C. (2011): graduate entrepreneurs are different: they have more knowledge? In International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour and research, Vol 17(2) 183-202 (ABS 2).
37.Pickernell, D., Kay, A., Packham, G. and Miller, C (2011) Competing agendas in public procurement: an empirical analysis of opportunities and limits in the UK for SMEs, in Environment and Planning C, 29 (4) 641-658 (ABS 3)
38.Acs, Z, Brooksbank, D. O’Gorman, C., Pickernell, D., and Terjesen, S., (2012) THE KNOWLEDGE SPILLOVER THEORY OF ENTREPRENEURSHIP:AN APPLICATION TO FOREIGN DIRECT INVESTMENT in International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business, 15 (2) 237-261 (ERA C)
39.Jones, W.P. Packham, G., Pickernell, D., Miller, Jones, A., (2011) Attitudes and motivations of Polish students towards entrepreneurial activity in Education and Training, 53 (5) 416-432 (ABS1) (ERA A*)
40.Paul Jones, Gary Packham, Paul Beynon-Davies, David Pickernell (2011) False promises: e-business deployment in Wales’ SME community Journal of Systems and Information Technology Volume: 13 Issue: 2 63-178 (ERA C)
41.Crawley, A and Pickernell D, (forthcoming) An Appraisal of the European Cluster Observatory, European Urban and Regional Studies (ABS 3)
42.Jones, P., and Miller, C, Pickernell, D., Packham, G., (2011) The role of education, training and skills development in social inclusion: The University of the Heads of the Valley Case study, Education and Training 53 (7) 638-651 (ABS 1)
43.Beach, S Keast S. and Pickernell, D (forthcoming) UNPACKING THE CONNECTIONS BETWEEN NETWORK AND STAKEHOLDER MANAGEMENT AND THEIR APPLICATION TO ROAD INFRASTRUCTURE NETWORKS IN QUEENSLAND, Public Management Review (ABS 2)
44.Clifton, N., O’Sullivan, D., and Pickernell, D., (2012 in press) ‘Capacity-building, culture, and the contribution of public festivals: evaluating ‘Cardiff 2005’’, Event Management: an international journal, Vol.16. (ERA B)
45.Pickernell, D., Senyard, J., Jones, P., Packham, G. and Ramsey, E. (2013) New and young firms Entrepreneurship policy and the role of government – evidence from the Federation of Small Businesses survey, Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 20(2): 358-382 (ABS 2)
46.Jones, P., Beynon, M. J., Pickernell, D, and Packham, G. (2013) Evaluating the impact of different training methods on SME business performance, Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, 31(1): 56-81 doi: 10.1068/c12113b71.
47.Jones, P., Packham, G., Beynon-Davies, P., Simmons, G. and Pickernell, D. (2013) An Exploration of the Attitudes and Strategic Responses of Sole-Proprietor Micro-Enterprises in Adopting ICT, International Small Business Journal, forthcoming, DOI: 10.1177/0266242612461802 (ABS 3)
48.David Pickernell, Kerry Brown, Robyn Keast, Chris Miller, Nina Yousefpour Gambling Revenues as a Public Administration Issue: Electronic Gaming Machines in Victoria, Australia (forthcoming) in Gambling Studies (ERA C)).
49.David Pickernell, Kerry Brown, Robyn Keast, Chris Miller, Nina Yousefpour Taking the Gamble: Local and Regional Policy issues of access to electronic gaming machines (EGMs): a case study of Victoria, Australia (forthcoming) Australasian Journal of Regional Studies
1. Jones, P., Packham, G., Pickernell, D. and Beynon-Davies, P. (2009)E-Commerce Trading Patterns within the SME sector: an opportunity missed? In: Thomas, B. and Simmons, G. (Eds.) E-Commerce Adoption and Small Business in the Global Marketplace: Tools for Optimization, Hershey, PA: IGI Global, forthcoming.
2. Donnet, D., Keast, R., and Pickernell, D. (2009)Up the Junction? Exploiting Knowledge-Based Development Through Supply Chain and SME Cluster Interactions, in Knowledge-Based Development for Cities and Societies: Integrated Multi-Level Approaches ,, Hershey, PA: IGI Global, forthcoming.
3. Beynon, M. J. and Jones P. (in press, 2009) Fuzzy Decision Rule Construction using Fuzzy Decision Trees: Application to E-Learning Database. Soft Computing Applications for Database Technologies: Techniques and Issues, editors: Anbumani, K. and Nedunchezhian, R., IGI Global, Hershey, PA, USA, (forthcoming).
4. Peachey, P. (2010) The application of activity theory in the design of educational simulation games. In P. Zemliansky & D.M. Wilcox (Eds.). Design and Implementation of Educational Games: Theoretical and Practical Perspectives. (In publication).
5. Thomas, B. and Simmons, G. (Eds) (2009) E-Commerce Adoption and Small Business in the Global Marketplace: Tools for Optimization, Business Science Reference, IGI Global, Hershey, USA, 324 pages, ISBN-10: 1605669989.
6. Christopher Miller & Olga Shimbireva (2010) small firms and their role to facilitate surgical centres in Wales ISBN 978-5-98079-597-9
7.Donnet, T., Keast R., & Pickernell, D. 2010. Up the junction? Exploiting knowledge-based development through supply chain and SME cluster interactions. In K. Metaxiotis, F. J. Carrillo & T. Yigitcanlar (Eds.), Knowledge-Based Development for Cities and Societies: Integrated Multi-Level Approaches (pp. 179-195). Hershey: Information Science Reference.